Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Doing the Needle Felting Thing

This is my not-very-pretty picture of th process of needle felting. If you're not familiar, it involves sticking various barbed needles into wool roving (dyed wool before it's been spun into yarn) until you've created dense felt. You can do flat pieces, embellishments, or sculpture, and it's super fun!

For this bracelet, I used wool yarn to make the design on it. Here's how it turned out:

It's my "Coral Blossom Cuff Bracelet" on Etsy.

For a great starter kit at a wonderful price, check here: http://www.woolery.com/Pages/felting.html#needlefelting
(scroll down to the "Introduction to Needle Felting Kit")
It includes 2 of each gauge of needle, a foam working surface, a bag of wool roving in different colors, and some instructions on how to get started with a few projects. It's so much simpler than it looks, and you'll be flying in no time!

For some added inspiration, check out the amazing work of Tobiah P. Mundt (Licorice Tree). Ahh, I love her stuff so much and can't say enough times how awesome I think it all is. She hand dyes some of her pieces, and I believe she mixes wet felting with needle felting. She sells cool kits too, I believe.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool! I may have to try it someday. Hey, I'm not busy at 3 am Thursdays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, sounds like a good time to squeeze it in, Kay! It's actually very relaxing because you get to take out your aggression (if you have any pent up) by stabbing some wool repeatedly :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, that DOES sound like a better plan than just randomly screaming throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete