Thursday, October 1, 2009

Out of the Head and Into Real Life

I've been day-dreaming about my little butterfly with antlers for some time now. I made the antlers probably a month ago, and they've been waiting for their butterfly to adorn. I'm obsessed with making freak-type, deformed animals, insects, etc., but I just never seem to get around to it all that often. I think about it every day...really. Maybe I'm putting undue pressure on myself to create these things, and I'm ending up not doing it as often as I'd like.

It will be a part of my Wunderkammer, or Cabinet of Curiosities. I already have the wooden miniature cabinet...now I just have to make more curiosities to fill it...

(Its really tiny-- about 2" from top of antlers to bottom of wings)

I think faux taxidermy is so fascinating. The idea of trying to recreate the perfections of nature in a handmade, flawed way lends itself so well to creating "flawed" creatures. I enjoyed pondering this as I poked the needle-felting needle into the butterfly's wings repeatedly.
I had planned to sell my Wunderkammer on Etsy once I finish, but now I'm not sure I'll be able to part with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment