Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Peculiar Theremin

Dear Theremin,

You are a peculiar instrument whose eccentricity intrigues me. Your combination of science, music, and atmosphere spills out with your engaging and vibrating sound. You have captivated my attention since the first time I met you and learning to play you is on my list of things to do before I die. You have a lovely ability to camouflage and vary your form adding a charming mystery to your presence. Those who play you look like sorcerers of sound, and I long to be still and aware enough to make you sing. I like you best as a gnome.

Thanks for existing,
Natalie

(From theremaniacs on Etsy)

P.S. Check out Pamelia Kurstin, a theremin virtuoso to see the potential of this peculiarity. She plays in a band called Barbez-- they are amazing, and I was given the stroke of luck to see them perform and it was one of those great shows where you know nothung about the music beforehand. It was wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment